Sydney Metro (North West Rail Link) – Provision of Construction Stage Technical Assistance
Rendel’s bridges team, led by Sam Khan has been appointed by the Principal Contractor, Impregilo-Salini JV (ISJV), on the Sydney Metro project to provide construction stage technical assistance. The technical assistance will primarily focus on the Windsor Road cable-stayed bridge but will also extend to the 4.5km long segmental viaduct.
The cable stayed bridge, on which Rendel has been involved in Proof Engineering (PE) and Value Engineering (VE) roles from the start of the project, will be a first of a kind metro/rail bridge in Australia.
The construction stage technical support comprises two main components:
- Full time technical site support to the ISJV
- Expert support for the cable stayed bridge on a visiting basis
Rendel is providing a full time bridge engineer, based in Sydney to provide technical support until March 2017. His role will be supported by the bridge team from the London office. The team’s remit will be to address the following elements of the cable-stayed bridge.
- Develop a detailed erection stage computer model
- Assist in design and construction activities
- Provide support to resolve constructability issues
- Carry out technical assessments
- Assist in liaison with SMEC (the designer) on technical matters
- Liaise with the Employer and Independent Certifier
- Assist in interpretation of the contract’s technical standards and specifications
Rendel will also be providing support from senior staff in the London office who will visit Sydney on a periodic basis during critical construction activities. This will be an extension of the VE services that Rendel has been providing through the post-award design and erection scheme development stages for the cable stayed bridge.